Sunday, July 26, 2009

review: the opposite of love by julie buxbaum

When Emily starts to suspect her boyfriend Andrew is going to propose, she decides to break up with him. Her friends think she’s crazy and it’s clear Emily isn’t solid on her decision since she keeps the break up a secret from her family. Following the break up, Emily’s life starts spiraling out of control: her grandpa is losing his memory and her boss tries to have sex with her while they’re on a business trip. Emily wants to turn to Andrew, but he wants nothing to do with her. When it all becomes too much, a friend makes Emily an appointment with a therapist; Emily is finally able to deal with the grief she has kept inside since her mother died when she was only fourteen.

I completely loved The Opposite of Love. Emily’s law experience seemed very real (probably because Julie Buxbaum was a lawyer) as did the family/friend relationships. I wanted to cry at times, but it helped to know Emily would end up happy as the prologue reveals Emily and Andrew will go on to have a baby. It was a bit odd to have the book start off that way though as it eliminates any suspense of “will Emily and Andrew get back together?”
5/5
Review copy provided by the publisher, The Dial Press.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole,
    Thanks so much for the lovely review! I am so glad to hear you enjoyed The Opposite of Love, and I so appreciate you taking the time to blog about it. If you get a chance to read my next book (After You) when it comes out next month, you'll have to let me know what you think.

    All the best,
    Julie Buxbaum

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool. The author stopped by your blog. I've been looking forward to Julie Buxbaum's works. I haven't get any chance to read any of her novels but I'm already fascinated by The Opposite of Love. I read many positive reviews of this book. I also heard that it's going to be on the big screen. Can't wait. :D

    ReplyDelete