Monday, April 14, 2014

review: my life in middlemarch by rebecca mead

As the book is titled My Life in Middlemarch, I expected Rebecca Mead to include far more about her own life. The book instead focuses primarily on Mary Ann Evans who wrote Middlemarch under the name George Eliot. There's much here about parallels between the works of Eliot and the author's life which may have inspired the novels. Although it's an interesting and well-researched biography, I hoped to read more of Mead. I did appreciate her insights though. My biggest takeaway came from the following: “…All readers make books over in their own image, and according to their own experience. My Middlemarch is not the same anyone else’s Middlemarch; it is not even the same as my Middlemarch of twenty-five years ago.”
4/5
Review copy from Amazon Vine.

No comments:

Post a Comment